The battle That Saved Washington


Battle at Monocacy, Md. July 9, 1864.

By mid 1864, Union General David Hunter was instructed to inflict damage on the Shenandoah and he ended up burning the Virginia Military Institute and other colleges and homes in the area of Lexington. After his defeat at the battle of Lynchburg and retreat, General Lee ordered General Early to take the Second Corps and link up with General  John C. Breckenridge to clear the Shenandoah Valley of all Union influence. After securing the Valley, Early was to invade Maryland, putting pressure on the Federal capital, Washington D.C. By  the first week of July, Confederates had entered Maryland and caught Union forces largely off guard. Major General Lew Wallace and roughly 3,200 inexperienced troops of the Middle Department, headed west from Baltimore, MD and took up a position just south of Frederick, MD at Monocacy Junction along the Monocacy River.  Grant, who was facing Lee in Eastern Va., ordered  the third division of the Sixth Corps north, hoping they would reach Maryland in time to slow Early’s advance. By the morning of July 9th, nearly 6,600 Union troops had gathered near Monocacy Junction, with Wallace in command. Early’s 15,000 Confederates were to the north in Frederick - the stage for battle was set.


While the Confederates had won the Battle of Monocacy

Lew Wallace was ultimately successful. His efforts had delayed Jubal Early’s advance long enough for additional Union reinforcements to reach Washington D.C. By the time Early’s men reached the capital on July 11, help had arrived in the Federal capital. Some fighting and skirmishing occurred near Fort Stevens on the city’s outskirts, but Early was unable to take Washington. Early and his men withdrew back into Maryland and eventually crossed the Potomac River back into Virginia - their campaign was over. This is a little known battle of the war but an extremely important one. General  Lew Wallace went on to write the book Ben Hur the most acclaimed novel of the 19th century and he was selected as one of two Indiana’s people to the US Hall of Fame. 


A Large Sycamore was the source

of a dead limb used to make the pen. It is in the foreground of  Gambrill mansion (photo- NPS headquarters) built in the 1890s, Just to the left in the photo (not  shown) is the Gambrill mill (1830) which was used as a hospital during the war. The wood was especially punky and insect ridden. It had to be  infused with a plasticizer to make it useful. Such a condition makes for an interesting final product with unusual coloring and highlights. 

Fort Morgan And The Battle Of Mobile Bay August 1864


Mobile Bay served the Confederacy well during the Civil War

as a strong focal point for International trade. However, late in the war it became obvious to the Union that the entire area needed to be taken. The bay was tightly controlled by  the CSA with three forts strategically placed at the entry including  Ft Gaines, Ft Powell and Ft Morgan. On the east side of the bay entrance is Ft Morgan which dates to early in the 19th century. Its guns served to severely thwart the main attack of Mobile Bay led by Admiral Farragut in August of 1864. It was here that one of his fleet hit a torpedo that sunk the USS Tecumseh. 


Undeterred he is reported to have said

“Damn the torpedo's full  speed ahead” and the attacking fleet moved into the bay to do battle  with the under gunned Confederate navy. Eventually, Federal General  E.R.S. Canby landed the 16th U. S. Army Corps at Navy Cove to lay siege to Fort Morgan on August 9, 1864. The fort was taken by Federal Troops on August 23, 1864, the Union soldiers moved  northward to camp at Fish River before marching on to capture Mobile. It is also notable that Nave Cove was the site of the launching of the  “America Diver” which was a precursor to the famous CSS Hunley the first submarine successfully used in warfare.


Roots of long leaf pine from the Civil War era

 are still preserved on the beaches of Navy cove which is adjacent to Ft Morgan. The trees were probably downed from the nasty hurricane of 1906. The Navy Cove pen is made from one of these pine roots. During the Civil War there were no trees in or around Ft Morgan for obvious reasons. The pine roots are heavy laden with resin which had preserved them from decay and this had to be removed before wood turning the pen could be completed. 

Battle at Tom’s Brook, Va Oct. 9, 1864


In July of 1864 General Jubal Early’s

Confederate forces attacked Washington, D.C. This maneuver greatly perturbed President Lincoln who decided that he had reached his wits end with the Confederates in the Shenandoah valley of Virginia from  which Early had come. At this point Major Gen Philip Sheridan was chosen to take care of the valley by clearing it of the Confederates and burning it. On October 6, after major victories at Winchester and Fischer’s Hill, Sheridan began withdrawing, as his cavalry burned everything that could be deemed of military  significance, including barns and mills. . 


The Confederates were not finished

Reinforced by Kershaw's division, Maj. Gen. Thomas Rosser arrived from Petersburg to take command  of Gen Fitz Lee's cavalry division and harassed the retreating Federals.  Confederate General Thomas Rosser nipped at the heels of the marauding Yankee force, and Torbert, under orders from Sheridan, told his generals,  George Custer and Wesley Merritt, to counterattack. At dawn on October  9, Custer and Merritt and their respective forces attacked the two wings  of the Confederate cavalry and it was a total  route as the Yankees chased the Confederates for over 20 miles in  flight which became known as the Woodstock Races. It was a complete  Union victory. 


This Sycamore tree is the source

is the source of the wood that was harvested by Luke Greer the Virginia  photographer. According to Luke when he arrived at the site, right on Tom’s Brook on the old road  located on the field of battle- “ I told the young guy and his very pregnant wife that I had seen the sign offering to shoot trespassers so I figured I should ask permission. He granted me permission though it's technically his landlord’s pile of branches there in the ditch. I quickly grabbed a branch that barely fit in the back of my truck and got out of the kids way. The tree is over 6’ in diameter and  is a witness tree to the battle at Tom’s Brook. 

The Biggest Ruse of the Civil War


The Lynchburg Va. Campaign May – June 1864

In the spring of 1864, Union Major General David Hunter was sent to threaten the Bread Basket of the Confederacy, the Shenandoah Valley. His actions in the valley  between May 15 and June 18, 1864 are known as the Lynchburg Campaign. Hunter had clashes with the Union forces at Port Republic and General William “Grumble” Jones at Piedmont on June 5 with some success. Close to mid- June he began destroying everything in sight ending with the burning of the Virginia Military Institute as well as much of Lexington. Hunter then set out for Lynchburg, 


On the nights of June 17-18

Confederate General Early, in an effort to create the illusion that he was being strongly reinforced, had empty trains run up and down the track, whistles blowing. The local populace was recruited to raise a cheer every time one of these “troop trains” arrived. Local bands struck up martial airs all within the earshot of the Union line. Prostitutes were allowed to pass through the lines to help spread the tale of the great influx of troops to their Yankee customers. Hunter was completely taken in and soon retreated after some bloody fighting resulting in a total of about 1000 total causalities in the battle.  


In the middle of the Confederate defensive line

was Early’s headquarters located at the Spring Hill Cemetery. Here, near the old sugar maple tree, Early's reinforcements were gathered. A dead limb of this tree furnished wood for a unique pen. 

The Battle of Resaca, Georgia May 1864


Union General W.T. Sherman’s Atlanta Campaign

began in the early summer of 1864 in Chattanooga, Tennesse and was opposed by Confederate General Joe Johnston. There were a series of battles and skirmishes by the Union forces as Johnston’s army withdrew toward Atlanta. One of the major battles occurred at Resaca in  mid-May. It covered a massive amount of land with Confederates doing their best to defend a multitude of positions. 


On May 15, the battle continued

with no advantage to either side until Sherman sent a flanking force across theOostanaula River at Lay's Ferry, towards Johnston's railroad supply line. Unable to halt  this Union movement, Johnston was forced to retire from the field. Much more fighting was in store for both  sides while Atlanta loomed in the distance as Sherman’s major target. 


Ms. Sarah Husser and Mr. Ken Padgett

both of the Resaca area were at the gate of the newly created battlefield site park to greet us. It is to be noted that photographs of the field made after the battle show assorted individual trees growing randomly all over the battlefield. The cherry bark oak shown with Strobel is undoubtedly one of these trees. It measured about 7.5 ft in diameter at waste high. The tree could easily be over 200 yrs old given its rate of development. The tree is hallowed  by locals as a witness tree.  

The Battle Of New Market, Va May 15-16, 1864


Having failed to destroy the Confederate Army

 at Gettysburg in July of 1863, the Union Army now under U.S. Grant  began a pursuit of Lee’s Army in Northern Virginia. Nagging Grant on the Western flank was the Shenandoah Valley still in Confederate hands. Grant ordered General Franz Sigel on a mission of  conquest and destruction of the valley in May of 1864. His Army of  10,000 men was met by Confederate John Breckinridge with 4,100 men who out maneuvered Siegel and won the battle. 


“...and May God Forgive Me for the Order" General J.C. Breckinridge

Breckinridge, with permission of President Davis, got the help of 257  cadets of the Virginia Military Institute who marched 80 miles to do battle with the Union forces. They played a key role in the Confederate victory. Each year as a commemoration of the event, in May, there is a cadet march from VMI to New Market.


Whilst at New Market

on the battlefield near to the New Market Civil War museum there is a huge red bud tree (a legume) having small growth rings and measuring over 3.5’ in diameter. It was there at the time of the battle! This species is a relatively small native tree that grows slowly and puts out an amazing display of red blooms in the springtime. The tree was estimated  to be about 180 years old. 

Cold Harbor VA June 1864


By June 2nd 1864, General Grant

was poised for a major assault to General Lee’s right flank and cut off the Confederates from Richmond, but when Maj. General  Hancock's Second Corps arrived after a midnight march too fatigued to support the Union left flank, the operation was postponed until the following day. This fatal delay gave Lee's troops time to build an impressive line of trenches. At dawn June 3,  Union troops assaulted along the Bethesda Church-Cold Harbor line and were slaughtered at all points 


Grant Pulled Out

of Cold Harbor after nine days of trench warfare and continued to try to flank Lee's army at Petersburg. Grant later  expressed remorse for the  egregious Union casualties at Cold Harbor, stating, "I have always regretted that the last assault at Cold Harbor was ever made no advantage whatever was gained to compensate for the heavy loss we  sustained."  


People were not the only causalities

of  this battle, trees by the hundreds were removed from the battle lines  and trenches. Those still standing were hit by thousands of rounds of ammunition.  From one of these yellow pine trees was found a sharps bullet embedded  in the wood. It was fashioned into a pen and is probably the only one of its kind in the world. 

Lexington Virginia, VMI, and the Cemetery- June 12, 1864


On the Southern end of the Shenandoah Valley

lies Lexington Va, home to Washington college ( what would become Washington and Lee  University) and the Virginia Military Institute (VMI). It was to this small town that Stonewall Jackson’s remains were brought for burial in May of 1863 with much fanfare. One year later in early May of 1864, the VMI cadets were called to protect the Shenandoah as they marched 80 miles north to meet Union General F Sigel at New Market. 


But eventually Sigel

was replaced by General David Hunter and the war came to Lexington. Hunter attacked, looted and burned the Governor’s home as well as houses and buildings of VMI.  Union shells also rained down on the town and Confederate General McClausland’s overwhelmed forces could offer little resistance. 


Near the Lexington cemetery

is the Presbyterian church that Jackson faithfully attended when he was an instructor at VMI. Just up the road is the cemetery in which grows a stately old white oak tree. It was near this tree that he was buried. It was a bit difficult to find a dead limb from this tree that was big enough to make a pen, but I was successful and the result is stunning!  This tree witnessed General Hunter and his troops arriving from the north and heard the wicked sounds of cannons blasting away at the helpless institutions, buildings and homes of  Lexington.  

The Battle of Cool Spring, Virginia July 17-18, 1864


During Jubal Early’s raid on Washington D.C.

On 12th-14th of July, 1864, the attack on Fort Stevens was witnessed by President Lincoln. As the bullets flew past him a young officer bellowed out  “Get down you damn fool”. The officer turned out to be the future Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes. The Union Army, under Horatio Wright pursued Early’s army at it withdrew from the Nation’s  capital.  


The Union troops were joined

by elements of Crook's command and on the morning of July 18th a vanguard of the Union infantry moved through Snicker’s gap, Virginia, and crossed the Shenandoah river at Judge Richard Parker’s Ford. Early’s three  divisions moved to defend the area west of the ford. The battle result was inconclusive but it allowed Early’s men to retreat to Northern Virginia where other major battles with the Union army awaited him later in 1864.

As a side note, Judge Richard Parker served as the judge at the trial of John Brown whose men raided the Harpers Ferry Arsenal on Oct 16-18, 1859.


Wood collected from the standing yellow poplar tree

is in the photo by Luke Greer (above) and he also collected it. The tree was more than 5.5 ft in diameter. And it was enclosing a stone wall the history of which is unknown. Luke is a professional photographer and a good friend. His contemporary black and white photo of the battlefield site is shown here. The pen was made from a dead limb piece of this historic tree that he collected and kindly sent to me for the collection.  

The Battle of Opequon, Va. aka 3rd Winchester Sept 19, 1864


Many historians believe that

the 3rd battle of Winchester, was the most important conflict of the Shenandoah Valley because it was the first of several battles that led to total Union control of the Valley. That poor little town had changed hands over 70 times during the war and what occurred on that September day in 1864 would be the bloodiest of the entire war in the Shenandoah. 


A brief background

In June of 1864, General Early successfully led Confederate forces  against Union General David Hunter at the Battle of Lynchburg. From here he headed northward and thwarted a Union force at Monocacy.  Ultimately, he attacked Fort Stevens just outside of Washington D.C. which caused no end of consternation to Lincoln and the Federals. In response to the  Washington D.C. raid, General Sheridan was given 40,000 men and was tasked to take care of Early’s Army of the Valley.  After many small encounters in Northern Va., a defining battle was at Winchester, Va., near Opequon Creek on Sept 19, 1864. Attacks from both sides swept back and forth across 600 yds of open ground called the  “Basin of Hell.” The battle was considered a Union victory as Early and his men retired from the field. 


Near the middle field

on the slope leading down to the “red bud” run stood a young white oak tree. This witness tree stood for more than 146 years, the last survivor of the battle before it was felled during a violent storm in 2010. It is a good example of an ever widening loss of the big old trees that witnessed the Civil War. Wood from the tree was supplied by Mr Terry Heder to me for the collection in the summer of 2016.  

The Battle Of Spring Hill Tennessee


On the night of November 28, 1864

Lieut. Gen. John Bell Hood’s Army  of Tennessee marched on the Columbia Pike toward Spring Hill, Tn, to get astride Maj. Gen. John M. Schofield’s Union army’s supply  line. Hood was pursuing Schofield as the Yankees withdrew north from  Columbia towards Nashville knowing that Hood’s army was going to try to  take Nashville. Cavalry skirmishing between Union and Confederate  troopers continued throughout the day as the Confederates  advanced. On November 29th, Hood’s infantry crossed the Duck River and converged on Spring Hill. In the meantime, Schofield reinforced two brigades holding the crossroads in town there guarding the Union supply trains 


The Rebel infantry

and Confederate cavalry led by Gen Nathan Bedford Forrest attacked from east to west attempted to dislodge Schofield's army from the Columbia Pike.  During the evening, the rest of Schofield’s command passed unmolested from Columbia through Spring Hill to Franklin and within a few hundred yards of Hood's men in their camps for the night. This was, perhaps, Hood’s best chance to isolate and defeat the Union army. The engagement has been described as “one of the  most controversial non-fighting events of the entire war." The next day, Hood would meet Schofield 12 miles north at Franklin in one of the bloodiest battles of the entire Civil War.  


An old white oak tree

heavily punctured with lead bullets recently fell in a storm that hit the Spring Hill area. It was located just south of Spring Hill within two hundred yards of the Columbia Pike and near to the Rippavilla Plantation.  It is an excellent example of an ever dwindling number of witness trees  that still exist in Civil War Era America.  

Battle of Franklin, Tennessee


The battle took place

late in the afternoon of Nov. 30, 1864. One of the most intense conflicts of the war, it was fought in just five hours. The battle raged across the fields south of Franklin, scarred the landscape, claimed thousands of lives and changed the small community of Franklin forever. Near to the Harpeth river flank of the battlefield was the Carnton Plantation owned by the McGavok family. It turns out that more than 1,750 Confederates lost their lives at Franklin.


On Carnton back porch

four Confederate generals’ bodies Patrick Cleburne, John Adams, Otho F. Strahl and Hiram B. Granbury were laid out for a few hours after the battle. The McGavocks tended for as many as 300 soldiers inside Carnton alone, though at least 150 died the first night. Hundreds more were spread throughout the rest of the property, including in the slave cabins. Carrie McGavock donated food, clothing and supplies to care for the wounded and dying, and witnesses say her dress was blood soaked at the bottom.


This Exceedingly Old

Osage Orange tree witnessed all of these events. So too did an old walnut tree located in the river bottom near the house. Gary Strobel and his wife Suzan are shown with the Osage Orange tree. The pen top is walnut and its barrel is osage orange wood. 

A few of these pens are available in the gift shop at the Battle of Franklin, Tennessee. 

Battle Of Brice's Crossroads June 1864


Gen Nathan Bedford Forrest’s

legend grows substantially when his Confederate cavalry routs a much larger Union force in Mississippi at the Battle of Brice’s Crossroads in the summer of 1864. Union General Sherman, who was leading the Atlanta campaign, insisted that Forrest be neutralized and ordered a force from Memphis to hunt down Forrest’s command. On June 1, some 5,000 infantry and 3,000 cavalry troopers under the command of General Samuel D. Sturgis trudged out of Memphis in search of the elusive Forrest. 


Forrest strategically selected

Brice’s Crossroads for its muddy roads and dense woods (mostly blackjack oak) to mitigate the Union’s numerical advantage and called for his men to attack the leading Yankee cavalry, which would force the trailing infantry to hurry to the battle and fight before recovering from the march. The plan worked to perfection. In the afternoon, Forrest orchestrated a series of attacks all along the Union front, which broke the Yankee lines and sent the Federals from the field in disarray with the Confederates in hot pursuit. The chase continued into the next day. The Battle of Brice’s Crossroads stands as his greatest military victory. 


The entire battlefield

is covered with blackjack oak and some of these witness trees still stand and are over 4-5’ in diameter. Every book on the subject of Brice’s Crossroads includes a description of these trees and their protective role in the battle. The pen was made from a dead branch from one of these oaks in the center of the battlefield. 

The Battle Of Nashville, Tennessee


On December 16, 1864

Late in the afternoon, the Confederate army was defeated at the Battle of Nashville and began a retreat from the main battlefield south on Granny White Pike. Confederate Colonel Ed Rucker held the pike “at all hazards” to block the Union Cavalry from capturing the retreating Confederates at Brentwood. General Edward Hatch ordered his United States Cavalry south on Granny White Pike and attacked Rucker’s Brigade near the Witness Tree. 


The Battle of the Barricade

began nearby, and the fierce fighting continued around this tree and to the south before the hand-to-hand combat ended in the cold darkness. Although Col. Rucker was successful, but it was at a high price, he was wounded and captured with many of his men. 


On The Same Night

the victorious but exhausted U.S. Cavalry camped under the Witness Tree’s branches. This witness pen is made entirely of the outer bark of huge Bur Oak. This tree is over 250 years old. 

The Battle of Belle Grove


or The Battle of Cedar Creek was fought October 19, 1864

and was the final battle of the Sheridan’s Valley Campaigns. Confederate General Jubal Early launched a surprise3 attack against the encamped Union army. One of the main Confederate advances was a night march across the Shenandoah river and then they followed an old trail near the base of Massanutten mountain.  They crossed the river again and did a very early morning attack that routed seven Union infantry divisions. General Early failed to continue his attack north of Middletown.  


In the meantime

General Sheridan dramatically riding to the Battlefield from Winchester  Va., on his horse Rienzi, was able to rally his troops to hold a new defensive line. A Union counterattack that afternoon routed Early’s army. In hindsight, most would agree that Early could have easily won the victory had he listened to General Gordon and continued to press the morning offensive north of Middletown.  


The white oak

witness  tree was pointed out to me by Mr. Eric Campbell of the National Park  Service.  The tree is located near a clearing near to where union General Thoburn  was attacked by General John Gordon's  and General Kershaw’s divisions after they made an all- night march at the base of Massanuten mountain and re-crossed the Shenandoah river. This white oak is a classic oak witness tree and it is great to have a pen made form it in the collection.

The Battle of Olustee Florida. February 20, 1864


A stunning Confederate victory

the Battle of Olustee was the largest Civil War battle fought in Florida and dashed Union dreams of conquering the state in time for its  electoral votes to figure in the 1864 Presidential election. More than 200 Union soldiers were killed in the fighting and were buried in a mass  grave on the battlefield. In addition, the Federals lost 1,152 wounded and 506 missing, most of whom were captured. Confederate losses in the battle included 93 killed, 847 wounded and 6 missing. The massive number of wounded left on the battlefield at Olustee stretched Confederate resources almost to the breaking point.  


An Interesting Side Note

to the Battle of Olustee –Black troopers  of the Mass 54th Under the command of now-Colonel Edward Hallowell, the 54th fought a rear-guard action covering the Union retreat at the Battle of Olustee. During the retreat, the unit was suddenly ordered to counter-march back to Ten-Mile station. The locomotive of a train carrying wounded Union soldiers had broken down and the wounded  were in danger of capture. When the 54th arrived, the men attached ropes to the engine and cars and manually pulled the  train approximately three miles (4.8 km) to Camp Finnegan, where horses were secured to help pull the train. After that, the train was pulled by both men and horses to Jacksonville for a total distance of ten miles. It took forty-two hours to pull the train that distance. 


A few live oaks

grace  the Olustee battlefield site. They would have been seedlings at the  time of the battle or would have arisen from seeds of nearby live oaks  that were  there at the time of the battle. Other major tree species gracing the battlefield are long leafed pines whose life span is relatively short. Wood from the live oaks is highly figured  and exceedingly desirable.  Dead limb material of this tree was supplied by Dave Nelson of Uncle Davey’s Americana in Jacksonville, Florida.

The Battle Of Fisher’s Hill, Virginia


After suffering a defeat

at 3rd Winchester, General Jubal Early retreated south to a gentle rise in the landscape known as Fisher’s Hill. Here on Sept 21 and 22, 1864, his men were entrenched and ready to do battle with Union General Sheridan and his overwhelming Union force. 


Sitting atop of the hill

is a huge Chestnut Oak tree that served as a look out and signal station for the Confederates. 


A portion of the crown

has been removed but the majority of the tree still survives. It, unlike many witness trees, is a classic “witness” tree since it actually participated in the war.  

Grant’s Headquarters Siege Of Petersburg VA


City Point, Va. (now Hopewell)

is located in central Virginia at the confluence of the James and Appomattox rivers. It was the site of Union General-in-Chief Ulysses S. Grant's field headquarters during the 9 month siege of Petersburg nearing the end of the civil war. City Point became a crucial Union port and supply hub. At least 100,000 Union troops and 65,000 animals were supplied out of the town, and in August 1864 


The Confederate Secret Service

detonated a time bomb on a docked barge, hoping to disrupt work at the port. As many as fifty-eight people were killed, but the wharf was soon rebuilt and service to the front continued. City Point also was the site of the sprawling Depot Field Hospital, which served 29,000 patients. President Lincoln visited General Grant here on June 20 -22 -1864  and again March 24 – April 8, 1865. 


Near Grant’s headquarters

grew a sycamore tree as shown in the photo. The tree died in the early part of the 21st  century, and its wood was parceled out to Mr Stan Lucien of Maine to make craft items. I contacted him and did  a trade for witness woods from Maryland and Virginia for several pen blanks of the City Point sycamore. It is truly a classic tree given all of the many events that it witnessed over the course of nearly 9 months at a crucial time in the Civil War. 

Battle of Fort McAllister, Georgia. December 13, 1864


Fort McAllister was built by Company A

of the 1st Georgia  Infantry in July of 1861. The mostly earthen fort was built to protect Savannah and was the entrance way to the Ogeechee river. The Fort came under attack on July 1, 1862, by the Union gunboat Potomska and was quickly out- gunned. Then again Union gunboats attacked the fort at least 7 times beginning on July 29, 1862, and ending on March 3, 1863, and each time the big guns of the fort repelled them. However, by Dec 13th the luck of Ft  McAllister finally ran out as Union General Sherman, in his march to the sea, needed supplies from Union ships anchored off shore. 


General Hazen was ordered

to take the fort by land with a force of 4,000 infantrymen. The attack lasted all of about 15 min as the Yanks rushed forward thru abatis and torpedoes buried in the sand, and entered the fort. With the lines of supply open, Sherman was primed for the capture of Savannah allowing him to march north through South Carolina and North Carolina. 


I had learned from Dillon Lee

at Pickett’s Mill, Ga that one or more old live oak trees at Ft McAllister had partly succumbed to a hurricane in 2017. After numerous calls, I was successful in getting the folks there to forward several nice limb pieces of one of these witness live oaks of the type shown in the above photo. The wood is hard and nicely figured and is some of the nicest most beautiful wood that I have in the entire collection. 

Wallis home the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain June 27th 1864


In Sherman’s Atlanta campaign

there were many skirmishes and several battles in his route from Chattanooga, Tn., south through Georgia. Certainly, the greatest barrier to Atlanta was 8-10 mile battle line made by the Confederates that covered the entire length of Kennesaw Mountain, Georgia. Sherman thought that the line was too thin to serve as a barrier but he was grossly mistaken. It turned out to be the largest frontal assault made by the Union army during the campaign and he was repulsed at each site of attack. Ultimately, the battle was considered a Confederate  victory, but Johnston’s army retreated to Atlanta. 


Early in the 19th century

the Wallis house was built and at the time of the battle was just about a mile from the battle line. Union General O. O.  Howard made his headquarters here, but at one point it was a Confederate hospital. Furthermore, at the battle of Kolb’s farm, General Sherman was at this house. The home site is being sought after by the NPS for inclusion within the Kennesaw Battlefield Park..


It is in a state of disrepair

but the old walnuts, and oaks still grace  its landscape. The oldest witness tree, a huge White Oak probably died 20-30 years ago. Only its massive stump still remains as seen in the photo along with Mr. JR Gee my brother-in law who has helped acquire many of the wood samples in multiple locations for this entire pen project.